Re: [gardeners] new to group

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 08:17:09 -0600

I live in Sulphur, LA and our climate is similar, well, exactly like, the upper Texas Gulf Coast.
We're already planting some things in spite of a light frost this morning. We'll be yanking the
winter veggies out today or tomorrow as they have played out, all but the lettuce. Most usually we
can plant 12 months of the year.

I'm familiar with your climate as I have long-term friends in San Antonio and used to hunt around
that area 30 years ago. We also grow the same veggies you do plus a few others. We like swiss chard
and it does well here in the early spring and in the fall, eggplant does well in the summer and all
the chiles do well. I plant about 8 to 10 varieties of chiles (peppers) each year as I blend them to
make my own hot sauce.

George