Re: [gardeners] yellow pear

Annetta Green (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 06:16:32 -0400

Jeanne,
Don't worry about it to much.  You will either get used to the weather or
move back.  It is what all us displaced souls do.  Me, I love it down here
in the south.  My last trip back up north only confirmed it.  We got there
to 40 degrees and rain, with gusts up to 60 mph.  We walked around thinking
that we would do okay in the gray cold weather.  We went to our function and
emerged to a total white out blizzard (IN MARCH!).  It took us 2 1/2 hours
to do what was a 25 minute drive (about 20 miles).  Then we got back to a
hotel with no power, it was 14 degrees outside at 2 in the morning.  The
wind had knocked the power out for miles.  The desk clerk told us we could
drive another 20 miles to another hotel that had power, as anything closer
was full or dead.  We chose to stay where we were, taking all the blankets
off of the extra bed and sleeping with our clothes on.  The next morning, we
got out of bed and left for the airport, there was no hot water, no heat and
no lights.  We got to the airport 4 hours early, but there was nothing else
to do - power was not expected back for 3 more days!.

We passed a number of cars off the road from the night before.  We lost
control once and slid into a parking lot.  We also slid through one
intersection twice.  First time at about 20 mph, the second time at about 5
mph.  We finally got around the corner at a slow crawl.  Funny thing is, I
don't remember being all that cold, except in the hotel room.  Course, I
wore a long velvet dress with long sleeved velvet jacket and had on a wool
coat that had been in storage for about 20 years.  The snow was dry and did
not stick, so you came indoors dry.  I liked that no indoor chill.  I think
I will stay here.
Anne in FL
zone 9b, sunset 26