Re: [gardeners] Sunday in a Brooklyn garden

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:46:09 -0500

I used to run with some swabs from Brooklyn and Queens when I was in the Navy a lifetime ago. It
always amazed me that people who lived in the big city would have gardens, including veggie gardens.
These folks mostly lived in brownstones and their families had been there for generations so they
had worked the soil up really good. Miniscule gardens in front with lovely flowers and small shrubs,
etc.

I grew up on 10 acres that didn't have that much garden to it so it was quite interesting. Been so
long ago I can barely remember those folks names. Do remember they "tawked" funny to a Texas boy
away from home for the first time but they were just as hospitable as any Texan you ever met. Seems
things haven't changed much in NYC in the 44 years since that time.

George