Re: [gardeners] night blooming cereus

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:57:26 -0500

We may be talking about two different plants here Ron. The night
blooming cereus as we know it in the south is a strap leaf cactus type
with long "branches" ending in a strap leaf with somewhat serrated
leaves. The blooms appear on long, round "hangers" and have a pinkish
red lattice around them. They open about 10 pm for us and have a large
white blossom with a delicious odor, they only last one night. These
have never had fruit in the 40 years we've been growing them. Latin name
is epiphyllum oxypetallum. Go here for pictures of this type:
http://www.netasia.net/users/charleskeng/flower.htm

George