Re: [gardeners] night blooming cereus

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:45:43 -0500

You're living in Sh*t City now? Old sailor term for Norfolk back in the
fifties, tough town back then.

Ours is in a pot too as we put it in the greenhouse in the winter. Gets
full sun for about three hours a day and fed some Miracle Gro once a
month and gets watered when the soil dries on top. The thing is only
about 4 or 5 years old and started blooming last year. This year it has
bloomed every month with 3 to 8 blooms at a time, opening on separate
nights. I don't know what advice other than what I've said that I could
give you.

We do prune the thing annually as it gets these "branches" up to 6 or 7
feet long and then the strap leaf starts to form, after that the blooms
appear on long stalks. AFAIK it has been in a 12 inch terra cotta pot
all of its life. We also have several small ones started from the pruned
parts. HTH

George