Re: [gardeners] "mosquito dunks"

M T (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:19:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Penny,

 Around here the dunks come in an 6 pack and can be found at Lowes or
Home Depot in the garden chemical section. Strange since the dunks are
'alive'.
 They contain BT, Bacilus Thuringus (sp?), in a time release formula.
It kills the catipillar/larvae stage of the mosquito. We put a 1/4
chunk of it in the few pots we leave saucers under during the summer. I
replace it every 2-3 weeks.

 We use fresh water bait minnows in the 2 barrel fountains in the back.
We use half a dozen minnows in a 35 gallon barrel.

 Just found the dunk package. It says:
 MOSQUITODUNKS Kills Mosquitos before they're old enough to bite!
 It contains Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis. Say that 5
times fast! It's an orange/reddish package with a large yellow strip
across the top.
 It's made by Summit chemical company. About $10 IIRC.

 We leave a 5 gallon bucket out in the yard to check rain levels and
evaporation rates for watering the plants. I never see larvae in it
with 1/4 dunk in the bucket. The dunks can get wet and dry repeatedly
without loss of effectiveness.