Re: [gardeners] Yes, frost!

Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:18:59 -0600

No secret to Cajun cooking at all Marc. I live in Louisiana and can tell
you it's just the spices and herbs used. Most of it is cayenne pepper,
black pepper, and something called Gumbo file' which is ground up
sassafras tree leaves. The roux is the secret to most dishes, a couple
of tablespoons of oil, a couple of tablespoons or more of flour and keep
stirring until the stuff gets dark enough to suit you and then it can be
used to thicken a gumbo, an etouffee, etc. The Trinity of Cajun cooking
is chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, and chopped celery, lightly
sauteed and used as a base for other dishes.

I make hot sauce here at the house just for consumption by friends and
family and it is fairly easy to do. There are a number of websites that
tell you how or you can do a Google search on the newsgroup
rec.food.preserving to find several descriptions of how I do it. You
might want to read that newsgroup frequently if you are doing home food
preserving as that is what it is all about. Lots of good info on there.
If I have some time later today I will email you direct with the methods
I use to make hot sauce.

Oh yeah, I have the seeds to 54 varieties of chiles myself and there are
a number of chile heads on this list.

George