Re: [gardeners] Getting ready already

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:22:52 -0600

Arkansas Cornbread, any other cornbread is just cake 'cause it has sugar
in it.

2 cups cornmeal, I prefer yellow but some like white
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

beat eggs well, add to two cups buttermilk and stir well. Mix cornmeal,
salt and baking soda together in a bowl, add buttermilk and eggs, stir
well without beating.

Have an oven heated to 450F but stick a 10 inch cast iron skillet in it
before heating it. In the skillet you want to have 1 tablespoon oil.
Once oven heats to 450F pour your cornbread batter in it and set the
timer for 20 to 25 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick or
broomstraw. You can eat it anyway you want but the old time way around
home was to crumble the hot cornbread in a bowl, put in a little chopped
onion, black pepper to taste, and put in milk. Miz Anne and I still like
that for supper every once in awhile but when I was a child it was a
mainstay when money was tight. Mom also used to put chopped up
cracklings in the the mix before baking but I never really liked it that
way.

George