Re: [gardeners] Bradford Pears

M T (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:13:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ron,
 I had to smile about the comment concerning the Bradford pear.
Bradford's are as much of an institution in the south as crepe myrtles
and camilia's.

 They are a beautiful ornamental tree, egg shaped, covered in snow
white blossoms at the very begining of spring. They are seldom affected
by frost, the way our star magnolias are.
 They leaf out to a dense canopy of shade and keep their leaves till
the the end of fall (too long, it still has 40% of them! every thing
else is bare)
 They lose limbs easily unfortunately. The sturdy trunk branches out to
many spindly limbs as soon as it reaches the the base of the crown.
 High winds or a bad ice storm can remove a third of their perfect
shape and they never look the same.

Good gardening,
Matt in Norfolk, Virginia   USDA zone 8

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 07:11:29 -0800
> From: Ron Hay <ronhay@postoffice.pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] New patio around good trees
>
> Hi, Matt,
>
> Thanks for your kind reply. I may have misread, but I thought you
> were
> going to leave only 3 inches around each tree, which prompted my
> concern. So much for the wonders of bifocals:)
>
> Is the Bradford pear an ornamental pear or an eating pear? It's not a
> tree I am familiar with.  Around these parts, we grow an evergreen
> Korean pear which "normal" blooms in February, but which, oddly, is
> blooming now, all over the city. Strange.

snip