RE: [gardeners] checking in

Anne Green (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:14:54 -0500

machinery.
 <file:///quotes/authors/h/a128220.html> Horace Mann

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Shantihhh@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 12:21 PM
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
Subject: [gardeners] checking in

We arrived back home from a wonderful 3 week holiday in Thailand on
12-15.  We visited tropical gardens, orchid gardens, relaxed, and ate so
much wonderful seafood.

We arrived home in-between storms here in the San Francisco Bay Area to
find our home heavily damaged from a leaking roof, which we had just had
refurbished and repaired!  Five huge branches from a 50 year old elm
tree came crashing down on our redwood deck lanai, benches, planters,
and fencing, as well as some prized citrus and topiaries.

The mold and fungus in the walls, ceilings and carpets is making us
quite ill.  Due to the holidays AAA insurance repair crews have dealt
w/some issues, but not this mold problem.

We spent yesterday at the allotment, breathing fresh crisp air and
finishing the winterizing that our daughter started in our absence.  I
was amazed to see she had left 4 tomatoes, 1 eggplant and 4 chiles which
are all still producing.

We picked many ripe chiles, a few Neon Eggplants, and a whole basket of
green tomatoes.

Here at home I have so many green tomatoes, especially cherry types
still on the vines.  I plan to pickle the dills w/my mil's recipe for
Granny's Killer Diller's.  It uses Horseradish and has a nice kick.  LOL
The larger tomatoes I am going to stuff with cabbage and pickle.  I
think this is an Eastern European recipe.  It is in the Ball Blue book.
My daughter's boyfriend is from Croatia and she says they buy them at
the deli all the time.  She thought they were from Bulgaria.  I am going
to add fennel to some as that is the way they do the sauerkraut we love
in Germany.

My planted garlic and onions are about 6" to 8' high already and we
planted them right before Thanksgiving.  The chiles here in the raised
beds still look good.  I think we best dig up the Habanaro, Serrano, a
couple of the Thai Dragons and pot them up in the greenhouse to over
winter.

I am hoping to plant some Broadbeans.  Do you think it is too late or
too early here in zone 9b????

Mary-Anne
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset 14/15

"Who plants the seed beneath the sod, and waits to see, believes in
God."

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2AFE3.EAF384E0

Message
Mary-Anne,
Your trip sounds heavenly.  To bad about the damage = found=20 upon returning home.  It won't be long before it is all = straightened out=20 and you are once again living your normal life (ha! whats that? for me=20 anyway).  I bet a few of the others on the list have given you ways = to=20 combat the mold problem.  That alone may be the longest lasting=20 problem.  I know that our home seems mold free, until one day it's = as if it=20 magically appears everywhere.  In our kitchen we finally took down = all the=20 walls to the 2x4's and rebuilt.  It made a big difference, as the = area had=20 been leaky for years before we bought the house.  Now we are doing = the=20 bathrooms the same way, one at a time.  We have 3 and they are not = easy, as=20 the fixtures in there are all custom sizes.  It is not easy to find = a=20 bathtub to fit when the new ones are about a foot shorter than = the=20 largest we can afford (they get pricey quick).  =

Anne in FL
zone 9b, sunset 26
Education then, beyond all other devices of = human origin,=20 is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, the balance-wheel of = the social=20 machinery.
Horace Mann

-----Original = Message-----