Re: [gardeners] Weather report

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:31:26 -0600

We've never had to face cold weather that lasted for months, not even
for weeks. The most I can remember is once in the sixties it got down
around 15F and stayed there for a couple of days but caused millions of
dollars in damage to crops, cattle, and, more particularly to the
refineries in the area where we lived. I worked three 16 hour days
wearing my woolies, an old Air Force parka that I used for hunting and
all the socks I could get on trying to keep a process unit I was in
charge of from freezing. All to no avail, froze up anyway.

At least we only lose the semi-tropical stuff we grow, not the hardy
perennials like you might lose. I would look very green around the
gills. Wish there was something we could do to help you.

George