Re: [gardeners] gas guzzlers

Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:54:00 -0600

There were stories after the gas shortage about oil tankers circling in
the Atlantic off the East Coast of the U.S. I wasn't in management at
that time so can't speak for that. I do know that the company I worked
for was holding several million barrels (42 gallons to the barrel) off
the market but they never told us why. It wasn't too long after that
that the Alaskan pipeline was built and more Artic drilling was done.

there is enough oil in the U.S. to carry us for another goodly number of
years but there is resistance to drilling for it as it is in refuges,
etc. Having worked on the North Slope of Alaska for a bit I can tell you
that drilling and pumping up there didn't seem to bother the wildlife
that much. IIRC the Caribou herd for that part of the Arctic has doubled
in number since the pipeline was put in. I don't know what the answers
are to make everyone happy and get the domestic oil flowing but do know
we have lots of it available. Shoot, if I knew all the answers I could
get me a gubmint job and rake in all that lagniappe. <VBG>

George