RE: [gardeners] New hardiness zones -- get the fan

Terry (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 29 May 2003 07:26:45 -0700

Egad!  They've moved me to zone 6!  They used to have me in zone 5 and I've
always had to move down to zone 4 when buying plants to get them to survive.
Granted, we haven't had a zone 4 winter for several years and this past
winter our low was the lowest it has been since this drought started, only
down to -11.  I wonder if they have based this map only on the past 4 or 5
year's weather?

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Margaret Lauterbach
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 12:43 PM
To: gardens@lsv.uky.edu
Subject: [gardeners] New hardiness zones -- get the fan

Bring out the fans.  The USDA has decided we're all several degrees warmer
than we thought we were.  Two months ago, I was in zone 6, now I'm in zone
7, having not moved an inch.  They've dropped the a and b parts of the
zones.  I don't know whether the USDA checked with their boss about this
warmer situation (didn't he deny the globe was warmer?), but they have also
dropped Canada and Mexico as part of the zone map.  See it at www.ahs.org
.  Margaret L