RE: [gardeners] Hello, again, friends!

L. Neuru (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:51:52 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C32B58.DAA504B0

Travel details are always wonderful.  More about the kitchen please!
Lucinda
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-gardeners@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Ron Hay
  Sent: June 5, 2003 11:03 AM
  To: gardeners
  Subject: [gardeners] Hello, again, friends!

  Hello, friends,

  Sorry to have been such a stranger here. After our trip to Germany, which
was nothing short of wonderful, our garden needed major help, since we had
been so busy preparing for the trip, then away for two weeks, then being
busy with church affairs on weekends.

  We JUST got our garden in two weeks ago, having purchased plants from our
local nursery. We got them in just before 3 blistering high 90 days hit,
which, happily, were followed by a week of what we here in SoCal are pleased
to call "June gloom," our fairly stationary fogbank which clears inland to
haze in the late afternoon, and which clings to the coast like glue,
drizzling every morning, as it is doing, as I write.

  That weather pattern has been wonderful for the  young plants, which
appear to be thriving, except two weak sister corn plants. This year we've
planted Armenian cukes, winged beans, Blue Lake bush beans, 6 varieties of
tomatoes, including Heatmaster, for the first time; rhubarb chard and ruby
chard; white, mixed and yellow corn; zukes, yellow crook necked squast and
jalapenos. Wow!

  Meanwhile, having been away at the time we should have netted our apricot
tree, the squirrels are having a feast of semi ripe cots. We hope to get out
there on Saturday morning and attempt to net what is left

  The pomegranate, lime,and navel oranges have set major amounts of fruit,
but the persimmon, nectarine, mandarin and blood oranges have only set small
amounts of fruit, after record yields last  year.

  Speaking of record yields, our macadamia is absolutely loaded with nuts,
and also with new blossoms. The Beaumont variety, which we have, produces
flowers and nuts, all year long, which is  a reason the commercial growers
do not favor it, as harvesting would be a mess.

  In our front yard,one of the stars of the show is a new rose we planted
last year, Henry Fonda, a gorgeous yellow hybrid tea, which is just
enveloped in blooms. The other stars are the floral carpet roses. Our
neighbors are just amazed at the floral display they provide, having been
rather dubious as we gradually reduce the size of our already small front
lawn in favor of flowers.

  The Mexican sage is almost finished blooming, with its 4 foot flower
spikes of velvety purple  blossoms; and the butterfly bushes, which we cut
down in december to 1 foot stubs are now about 8 feet tall, almost up to our
home's power lines, and, therefore, in need of pruning this weekend, too.

  Lots is going on this weekend! Most of it will be involved in church
music. On Saturday afternoon, our choir and the hired orchestra will hold a
dress rehearsal for our performance on Sunday afternoon of a Mozart
Festival, at which time the choir will perform The Coronation Mass, Ave
Verum Corpus, and Regina Coeli; the orchestr will perform 4 of his horn
concerti; and our organist will play several organ concerti. Should be fun,
and Mozart is just so singable!

  We had to smile when we began the rehearsals, after having just visited
Mozart's home in Salzburg, where I was amazed at the nature of the kitchen:
a flat, raised tile surface about 6 feet square, with a space underneath to
stuff wood for cooking. Oh, yes, there were hooks for pots and pans and
shelves for preserved goodies, but that was IT.

  I've already rattled on long enough today, but perhaps, if there is any
interest, would be pleased to tell some of the highlights of our recent trip

  Ron

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C32B58.DAA504B0

Travel=20 details are always wonderful.  More about the kitchen please!  = Lucinda