Re: [tomato] [Fwd: phone usages fees on e-mail]

John & Jan Taylor (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:52:17 -0600

Please note that the following information is directly from the FCC's own
web page, located at:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Factsheets/ispfact.html

"In December 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requested
public comment on issues relating to the charges that Internet
Service Providers (ISPs) and similar companies pay to local telephone
companies. On May 7, 1997, the FCC decided to leave the existing rate
structure in place. In other words, the FCC decided not to allow local
telephone companies to impose per-minute access charged on ISPs.

Please Note: There is no open comment period in this proceeding. If you have
recently seen a message on the Internet stating that in response
to a request from local telephone companies, the FCC is requesting comments
to <isp@fcc.gov> by February 1998, be aware that this
information is inaccurate.

The FCC issued an unrelated public notice, DA 98-2, on January 5, 1998 in
connection with a report to Congress on universal service. Pursuant
to the FCC's 1998 appropriations legislation, the Commission must submit a
report by April 10, 1998 on several issues including the legal status
of Internet services under the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Comments in
response to the public notice are due January 20, 1998, and reply
comments are due February 2, 1998. Informal comments may be sent by email to
<usreport@fcc.gov>. "

John Taylor
San Antonio, Texas