Re: [tomato] Mycorrhizal Fungi Experiments

Margaret Lauterbach (Tomato@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 07:15:34 -0700

At 11:38 PM 2/19/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Evening  Doreen,
>
>At 02:13 PM 2/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>>  What media do you use in the beds?
>>---------------------------------------
>>I use this mix: peat moss, shredded leaves, composted cow manure and
>>compost.  Mix well, let sit two weeks and then plant.  Of course, I use
>>Mycorrhizae, which accesses nutrients from the soil that surrounds the beds,
>>too.  That soil is gumbo clay--which is very high in trace elements, just
>>not too good at transporting oxygen or water.
>
>  Sounds good.    You are not growing in soil  but the media you list above,
>right?  Ok..... I read the above again ..... and woke up as I read it.
>Your beds are in contact with the soil?     There are some advantages to
>having the roots access the soil.    Also a few disadvantages.   Some of
>the most
>deadly diseases are soil borne.   For this reason, I am considering lining my
>beds with plastic to  isolate my plants from the soil.
>
>Would you think this good or bad?
>
>  I doubt that a bit of sand would hurt your plants.   How often do you feed
>or water?
>
>  Often we have excess and frequent rains so we have to be very careful to
>provide adequate drainage.    Usually I add some sand to provide this.
>
>   Due to the fact I feed about once per hour, I have to have excellent
>drainage.
>
>   Wayne
>

>Wayne Fugitt
>

>Techlink to Technical Sites
>
>http://www2.misnet.com/~wfugitt
>
>Jackson, MS
>
>Voice Phone ..............:  (601)   878-5066  373-2801
>Fax.............................:  (601)   372-6431  878-5943

Once an hour!  Do you have cell breakdown and rapid rotting of your fruit?
What do you feed that often with?  It's been my understanding that tomato
roots can penetrate 20 feet into good soil (not in mine because I have
caliche about three feet down), and you're nervous about tomatoes touching
the soil?  Have you previously prevented tomato roots from reaching soil?
Margaret