[tomato] mules and tomatoes

Kim Van Scoy (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:41:27 -0500

At 10:11 AM 10/18/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Come now, hybrid tomatoes usually aren't sterile.  Horses and donkeys are a
>completely different situation.  Also, what a 'heavy' order to follow.  My
>shoulders are not broad or strong enough tocarry this load.

Maybe not steirile - but when ever I have "volunteer toms" in my
compost pile or manure all they amount to is tiny little wild looking
cherries.  I've never had a hybrid that bred true (although some may).
They certainly haven't been anything I'd save!!

>Chuck, if I can't identify the person(s) who are making the decissions or
>causing the problems, then I don't take on the issue.  I refuse to be
>disipated by reacting to a whole company.  I have limited energy.

I'm curious why not - actually I'm curious about what this statement
even means.  Sorry Louis - I'm not attacking you directly, I've just
honestly never understood why educated people didn't think
perserving genetic diversity is important.  Especially when saving
seeds takes so very little energy.

Kim - at the tail end of the baby boomers!!
David Cooper and Kim Van Scoy
"Dandelion Farm"
W8947 Hwy. 12
Fort Atkinson,  WI 53538