Re: [tomato] Plant in the same spot or not?

Byron.Bromley (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:30:20 -0500

Tom

I have one old book on gardening, that says don't rotate until
you have problems, I have another that says rotate every 4 years.
I have been growing in the same spot for 24 years, with high
organic treatment, IE a few shovels full of well composted
manure. in the same spot. I live in Southern NH. To dig the soil
down 16 in deep 2 ft dia. shift out about a wheelbarrow full
of rocks. is a lot of work. need to break the soil up with a pick
ax or remove big stones with an air hammer. To make room for
6 plants takes 2 weekends at least. (4 12 to 16 hour days)

Last year here for growing was a bummer, 6 weeks of almost
continuos rain, from June 1 to July 15, Wettest year since 1882.
1 day of sunshine. Had a lot of Bacterial and fungal problems
and the aphids esp had a chance to really multiply.

My Brandywines didn't do quite as good as usual, and my Mirical sweets
were al least a month late, but those Sweet orange cherry tomatoes
still performed well, I gave away 8 qts off 2 plants Plus the ? qts
I munched on .

Byron