Re: [tomato] manure

Byron.Bromley (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:01:23 -0500

No Margaret, I did not say that calves did not have a gender,
They are just not refered to a young cow or young bull. Until
they start getting to the reproductive stage. At 1 or 2 months
calves its hard to tell gender, unless you lift a tail or watch it "P"
At about 1 year young females start udder development, At that
point they are called heffers. And the male organs also start
having easy identifiable development.
  In cow country, you can usually get all the steer manure you
want for nothing, truck it yourself  Dairy cow manure is between
$10 and $25 per pickup load, load and deliver yourself. or $75 to $100
delivered The big reason is because of the lack of weed seeds.
  And here's one for microclim, I use mink manure, no weed seeds
lots of calcium, 1 year old stuff delivered free. Their diet is fish and
grain.

Byron

----------
From: margaret lauterbach <mlaute@micron.net>
To: Tomato@GlobalGarden.com
Subject: Re: [tomato] manure
Date: Friday, March 05, 1999 11:41 AM

At 11:00 AM 3/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Louis
>
>Think you miss read what I said, I said cow which is the female of the
>bovines, A steer is a castrated bull or male of the species. (don't
>think I need to mention parts removal) A calf usually refers to a
>young bovine without  gender reference. Or a least it did when I
>was on the farm.
>
>Byron

Byron, if a calf of either gender is born with two stomachs, they'll have
them forever, regardless of whether they're pruned to become steers.  I
think that was the gist of Louis's post.  You said cow manure would be less
likely to contain weed seeds because they have one more stomach than
steers.  Margaret