Re: [tomato] Concerns with Kitty Litter.

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 07:45:00 -0700

At 07:40 PM 3/8/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Margaret,
>
>I won't disagree that a person could contract a feline parasite.  But,
>where is this different than a person picking up hookworms from going
>barefoot in their own yard??  Or contracting Rhinitis from the soil??
>There is more than just kitty litter that can affect humans.
>
>However, if there is a stray cat that constantly uses your garden area
>or a potted plant for a litter box, you can contract the parasites just
>the same and strays are the ones that are of concern.  Our cats are
>vaccinated regularly.
>
>There are numerous animal diseases and parasites (such as worms) that
>live in the soil environment.  And with a lot of them, once the soil is
>infected, its indefinate as far as longevity.
>
>I was made aware of the kitty litter information when my wife was
>pregnant with our first child.  At that time we were told that my wife
>was not to mess with the litter due to the dust and the parasites
>associated with the fine particles of dust.  Also, in order for a
>compost to work properly, there has to be an increase in temperature and
>all virii, protozoa and bacterii, that I'm aware of that are harmful to
>humans, have a very short life span once the temperature reaches 60-65
>degrees F.  And a compost heap can reach this with no problem.
>
>If you have any information or a location where I can get information, I
>would like to read up on it.  Personally, I'm not that concerned with
>it, but, I would still like to read up on it.
>
>Anyway, I appreciate your concern and would like to read information
>that you might have on the subject.
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul Reynolds
>Austin Texas

Paul, check the archives of any garden lists: Gardens, Organic Gardening or
Gardeners.  If there's a FAQ at usenet sites, they should also have it.
Check any book on composting.  It's been thoroughly discussed and agreed
upon.  Margaret