Re: [tomato] Mycorrhizal Fungi in containers

Thomas Giannou (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:50:40 -0700

Dear Greg,

I've conducted some tests using potting soils.  The fungi does colononize
the plants and the hyphe will go out into the potting soil from the roots of
the plant.  I've also read about a lot of failures that were started in
potting soils and did well in the nursery, but when they were transplanted
out... they failed.  I think some of those failures were due to the
introduction of higher phosphate fertilizers.  It seems reasonable to think
that if one starts a tomato plant in a good potting soil and keeps the plant
in that soil, that the VAM fungi would benefit such plants.  I would also
consider introducing some rock dust to get added minerals and some sort of
organic fertilizer... a tablespoon mixed into the entire pot ought to be
sufficient.  If you can find them, worm castings would be a good addition
also.  If you add some sand to that potting soil, you should have no
problems with the VAM fungi on your tomato plants.

Regards,

Thomas Giannou
Spokane, Washington