RE: [tomato] Advice on starting my nxt crop of Tomatoes

Richard Dillon (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 18:45:40 -0500

Thanks so much, Doreen, for your response.  Would you be so kind as to
expand on your statement ".  So institute a preventative program of a weekly
spray with a fungicide and pesticide" - weekly starting now, or after I put
out my new tomato plants in August?  What pesticide do you use in an organic
garden?  I have heard that Rotenone is acceptable;  is this what you use?
Do you mix it with water and the Fruit, Nut and Vegetable Defense as well?
Can I mix the fungicide and pesticide with a foliar fertilizer such as fish
emulsion?  Any help and advice for a newbie gardener down here in hot, hot,
hot Houston, is greatly appreciated.  Also, I was wondering, what do you do
to prevent the squash vine borer from eating your squash vines?  I had about
1 dozxen great looking squash and pumpkin vines going, and the squash vine
borer hit and killed them all.  I replanted this weekend, and found some
Dipel which contains bacillus thuringensis, and if the new seeds germinate
and start growing, I'm going to be out there dusting them with the Dipel.
Do you have any other ideas?  Also (please be patient, I am so new to
gardening and a lot of the advice I hear doesn't really pertain to our
climate) I was wondering what I can plant this time of year that will
survive the summer heat.  I recently planted some yard long beans, but is
there something else that will grow well this summer?  Thanks so much in
advance for all your help advice, Richard