Re: [tomato] Round Up... Unfortunately...

bill (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:39:52 -0500

Unfortunately, certain invasive plants, particularly common fescue, is near
impossible to get rid of without some--and I don't know exactly who or what to
believe about Round-up.

For me, fescue is very destructive--animals will only eat it if starved,
wildlife does not eat it, fescue poisons the ground so that nothing else will
grow. Fescue does hold the ground, and was a last ditch effort at soil
conservation in the midwest--ironically used when nearly all the soil is long
gone. Fescue is also very difficult to mow, is a fire hazard, --very, very
difficult to plow under--etc.

I recently started using Roundup to spray 18" diameter circles to plant tree
seedlings in, (they will not survive otherwise), in the hope that gradually the
trees will take over. In gardens, repeated cultivation, over the last 12 years
has eliminated most fescue (unless I turn my head, then it's back).

Heavy cultivation, fuel, burning, etc. are very destructive--maybe worse than
roundup.

I don't, by the way, spray with anything but a handheld tank and nozzle, so the
nozzle is an inch or two off the ground, and not anywhere near water, pets,
vegetables.

Bill, in Missouri