Re: [tomato] Blossom Drop

Ron Hay (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:37:16 -0700

Hello, Margaret,

Last summer, when we had weeks and weeks of 105+, the tomatoes continued to
blossom and to set fruit like crazy. Our soil was not nearly so well-amended as
it is this year, thanks to my lovely wife's valiant efforts with our adobe clay.

This year, in Van Nuys, CA, we really have not had really hot weather yet (La
Nina?), and our vines are groaning under the weight of fruit. We planted three
of each variety: Beefmaster, large cherry tomatoes, Roma, early girl, big girl
and big boy, plus a couple of anonymous and flourishing volunteers.

On the Roma at the front of the row, I lost count with 70 fruit. It looks like
we will be busy canning this year, and eating our healthful largely vegetarian
fare.

Enjoy your garden!

Ron