Re: [tomato] Favorite cherry tomato?

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:09:10 -0600

At 09:14 AM 7/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>In an effort to get some interesting recommendations *and* a positive
>thread going at the same time I'm wondering:  what is your favorite cherry
>tomato?  Heirloom or hybrid, I don't care.  I'm already thinking of what to
>plant next year...
>
>Justine

A lot of people with good taste swear the very best is Sungold, a hybrid
sold by Thompson & Morgan, for one source. I may have tasted immature ones,
but I wasn't that impressed. Some people swore that Sweet Millions had it
all over Sweet 100s, but both crack easily, and have a slightly musky
aftertaste, IMO. Better than those are Gardener's Delight, an open
pollinated variety that I started growing after tasting them. Another
excellent OP are Riesentraube, with tiny nipples on the blossom end. I grew
Isis Candy, a mottled red-yellow variety last year (it's OP too), and if
you get an absolutely ripe one, they're outstanding. Problem is it's not a
very heavy-bearing plant.  I grow a hybrid Rose Quartz for my husband
because that's his favorite. I have not grown or tasted the Dr. Carolyn,
but Lollipop, another yellow cherry tomato is distinctly lemony and
excellent. It and Riesentraube are carried by Southern Exposure Seed
Exchange. Rose Quartz is from Shepherd's seeds. Margaret L