Re: Silvery Fir Tree - was RE: [tomato] Beautiful Pix

margaret lauterbach (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:41:49 -0600

At 04:13 PM 7/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Chuck wrote:
>Silvery Fir Tree has impressed me this year.  I think I still have time so
>I MAY try it in a pot on my deck this Summer.
>----------
>
>A few degrees latitude does make a difference! I've tried Silvery Fir Tree
>several times and it never does well in Atlanta, and it fails miserably in
>central Texas. Pity, since the foliage is so pretty.
>
>Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b

I grew that a couple of years ago. Offhand don't recall the seed source,
but they said it was good for a curiosity only, the tomato was yukky. I
planted it, it didn't look different from my other reg. leaf tomatoes and a
friend had courage to taste one -- and liked it. I wasn't inspired to grow
it again. Many of the tomatoes Dr. Male writes about do not grow here as
they do for her. Abundant crops? I got perhaps one or two. Large tomatoes?
No. Tasty? No. Can you tell what I'm writing my column about?  Margaret L