RE: [tomato] getting ready to order seed. Need opinions.

Richard Dillon (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:40:30 -0500

Would you be so kind to tell me what varieties of tomatoes you planted in
buckets?  Thanks in advance, Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com
[mailto:owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com]On Behalf Of DannoMusic@aol.com
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 3:33 PM
To: Tomato@GlobalGarden.com
Subject: Re: [tomato] getting ready to order seed. Need opinions.

Hi Michelle. For what it's worth, I've grown several varieties of tomatoes
in
five gallon buckets this year and none of them seemed to run out of room in
the pots. All of the tomatoes I planted in the spring reached at least ten
feet tall, most around 12 to 14 feet. A cherry tomato seems to be about 18
feet tall, although it fell over in hurricane Floyd and doubled back on
itself, so I'm not sure. I'm still getting lots of tomatoes every day, so I
haven't pulled up most of the plants yet to examine the roots. The ones I
have pulled up, were in no danger of outgrowing the buckets.
    You might consider growing some of the bigger varieties anyway and see
how they do for you. I asked about root size on another newsgroup and the
conclusion seems to be that roots grow as big as they need to to get the
food
they need. Has anyone here had experience with their bucket tomatoes running
out of room for the roots?
    --Michael