RE: [tomato] Re: (no subject) pine needles

Pete (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 13:36:06 -0500

Tom, I'm a neophyte, but what was the ph before you added the lime?  Did the
soil need the lime?  I was told the tomatoes like acidic soil, so what is
the ph now, and why do you call it a "problem"?

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com
[mailto:owner-tomato@GlobalGarden.com]On Behalf Of TWilli58@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 27, 1999 1:21 PM
To: Tomato@GlobalGarden.com
Subject: [tomato] Re: (no subject) pine needles

my very un-scientific opinion FWIW:
I once read in aa magazine dedicated to organic gardening that pine needles
will not make your soil more acidic.  So, that year I tried pine needle
mulch
around my tomatoes.  It did a great job of preventing weeds.  A soil test at
the end of the year showed that my soil was more acidic than a year earlier
despite the lime that I added in the spring.  I'm assuming that it was the
pine needles that caused the problem.

Tom