Re: [tomato] Caspian Pnk @ Brandywine

Richard Yarnell (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:43:49 -0800 (PST)

Mia culpa!  Totally forgot, but did keep records and probably reported the
results to CV.

They didn't do well here.  Fruit was sparse, growth was less than
vigorous, and the taste was bland on the fruit that we did get.  I'd have
to go look at the spreadsheet to give you full particulars and will if you
want the info.

The only difference in cultivation (all ITG varieties and the heirloom of
unknown heritage that we've been growing for years were planted in two
rows which were 36" apart with plant spacing on 18" centers) was that the
rows were on a slope.  It was the first time we'd used the ground and
although it was well prepped, dosed liberally with compost and a
combination of llama and rabbit manure, those plants may have not had as
much water available as thoses below.  We had emitters on each plant, but
water does run down hill.  The slope is between 8 and 10% at a guess.

Let me know if you want other details.  I don't think I have any more of
your seed, but did save some from the few fruit we got.  I may try them
again at the lower end of the plot.  (Yes, for the first time I intend to
put tomatoes right back where they were last year.  They were under road
fabric and fir chips from the power company: no sign of disease at all.)

RY

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Dave Anderson wrote:

> I offered free seeds for Caspian Pink tomato to a bunch of you last
> year. I asked that you let me know how it grew for you, and not
> suprisingly, I did not receive one response.
>
> I grew a a couple of plants of Caspian Pink, and I also grew a
> couple of Brandywine plants which I found at the local ("Eagle-
> Lowes Hardware store")
>
> Both varieties had about the same amount of fruit, the fruits varied
> in size from 8 to 25 ounces, and they both tasted wonderful. My
> only difference between the two varieties is that the Caspian Pink
> seemed to be slightly more acidic.
>
> Any comments, pro or con are appreciated.
>
> Dave Anderson
> Tough Love Chile Co.
> http ://www.tough-love.com

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, fly tying benches        | leave our kids a decent place to live.