Re: [gardeners] Mildew

Ethel Dover (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:16:35 +0100

Terry King wrote:

> Hi Ethel from the sunny US Okanogan!
>
> I'm just south of Midway, BC if you know where that is or 30 miles SW of
> Grand Forks.
>
> We started to have a light coating of mildew on the wild roses and snow
> berries but the leaves are dropping for fall now.  A solution of 1 tsp baking
> soda to 1 quart of water and up to 1 tsp liquid dish soap sprayed regularly can
> help control mildew and black spot.
>
> I also read that regular washing of the leaves will help but to do it so they can
> be dry before the cool night air.
>
> I hope you find this helpful.
>
> On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 18:52:51 +0100, Ethel Dover wrote:
>
> >Hello to all in our group.  I'm a newcomer from the Sunny Okanagan of
> >B.C., Zone 5, but we haven't been as sunny this summer as usual.  More
> >rain and cool weather has caused some problems such as powdery mildew on
> >some plants.  It looks like it could almost cause their demise.
> >       Has anyone else had this problem this summer?  Or has the group any
> >suggestions on how to cure this plant malady?
> >--
> >------------------------------------------------
> >   Ethel Dover          |  edover@junction.net
> >   6284 Osprey Road.,   |
> >   Vernon, BC  Canada   |
> >   V1H 1M7              |
> >

> Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
> taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1
Hi Terry: Yes, I know where Midway is and Grand Forks too.  You're on
our scenic #3 Hwy.  I'm in Vernon and on journeys in the summertime have
often passed your way.  I like your mildew recipe and intend to see if I
can help my plants.  Next year I hope to catch the problem before it
gets ahead of me. Thanks again.