Re: [gardeners] Morning Glories and frost

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 22 Oct 97 09:59:22 -0700

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:13:34 +0000, Liz Albrook wrote:

>Surprise, surprise, we lost only 1 tomato plant, a couple of peppers
>and no eggplants.  It looks like it takes a pretty hard frost to take
>out these plants if they don't get hit by the sun while the frost is
>still on them.  Has anyone else noticed this?  The 3 plants I lost
>were located so they get very early morning sun.

This was phenomenon was very evident the year it froze really badly in N. CA.
The state  plants Ice plant along the freeways around San Francisco.  The
temps dropped in to the mid to upper teens and all the ice plant on the west
slope where it received first morning light was killed. Much of the ice plant on
the east side of the hwy. survived as it warmed gradually.

If I remember correctly it because the sudden warming causes the cells to
rupture so collapse.

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1