Re: [gardeners] Wednesday

Thu, 13 Nov 1997 06:00:21

At 08:48 PM 11/12/97 +0000, Liz Albrook wrote:
>I hope Miz Anne is feeling better.  I am surely jealous Mr. Shirley
>that you and your better two thirds got to meet Harry.
>
>My spousal unit stayed home today with a touch of the creeping crud.
>I wasn't too worried until he asked for hamburgers cooked like his
>Mom used to make -- cooked until done then roasted until completely
>dry.
>
>We got our first really cold weather last night and the frost started
>forming this afternoon about 4 when Cheska went out back for her
>afternoon bathroom retreat.  (For those of you who've been following
>the saga it looks like Cheska is finally completely housebroken and
>it only took 13 months.)  I brought in the amaryllis -- one is just
>begining to bloom and the other two are starting to bud out.  I
>bought these at Wally World last year at Christmas and have ignored
>the instructions.  I figure that they'll grow year round.
>
>Out on the north side of the tool shed near the west side of the
>fence are my last bloomers -- nicotiana alata.  They glowed
>throughout the spring, summer and now fall, scenting the backyard
>like angel's breath.  We'll probably lose them tonight but I put a
>sheet over them to try to nurse them through this cold spell.  These
>plants have transformed my backyard, mostly because I was lazy and
>didn't get everything else planted.  We have a wooden fence painted
>dark brown and a tool shed also painted dark brown.  The masses of
>these plants with their white blossoms brightened the yard so much
>that even the neighbors commented on them.  I'm really hoping this
>last little grouping makes it.
>
>Liz

Miz Anne was feeling better when she went to bed last night but woke me up
several times coughing. She's sound asleep and snoring loudly as I write
this, pore soul only snores when very tired or ill.

Got a Big/Odd Lots store ad in the paper yesterday, had potted amaryllis
and other bulbs for $2.79 a pot. Might run by today and see what they've
got left.

George