Re: [gardeners] Wednesday

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:44:37 +0000

Liz wrote:

> We got our first really cold weather last night and the frost started
> forming this afternoon about 4 when Cheska went out back for her
> afternoon bathroom retrea

We're due for our first freeze tomorrow night. It's going to be hard on
the plants, since the temps. have not gradually cooled off. 'Twas in the
mid-70s until earlier this week. Last I heard they're predicting a low of
22F. Blech. Tomorrow I will run around like a maniac getting the last of
the stuff inside that I should have gotten in earlier.

> Out on the north side of the tool shed near the west side of the
> fence are my last bloomers -- nicotiana alata.

I tried nicotiana sylvestris this year. It has been wonderful. Tall and
luminous and still blooming. Some have even reseeded and come up this fall
(no bloom on these, though). I'm hoping they reseeded like crazy and pop
up all over the semi-shade woodland area where I planted 'em this last
spring.

Catharine/Atlanta, zone 7b