Re: [gardeners] how does your garden grow

Barb Rothenberger (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:13:17 -0600

Catherine:  what kind of soil do you have?  I always heard you needed sandy
or at least more fiberous soil to grow carrots.  We do OK with radishes  -
wondered if the little baby carrots would do OK in our wonderful Missouri
clay.
	Never grown parsnips and not sure I'd want to but if the blooms are
beautiful.....
Two of our problems is space and shade - not enough space and too much
shade.  Don't think there's much chance of mvoing to another yard, and
short of neighbor's houses burning down or being swept away by a twister,
can't see that we'll ever GET any more land!  Do wish we could convince
some of the neighbors to CUT DOWN their silver maples.
	We had snow yesterday when picking our daughter up at the St.Louis airport
- could hardly see to drive for awhile, but it wasn't sticking on the road
and very little on the ground.  By the time we got to Columbia (120 miles
west of St. Louis) NO snow at all.  They are calling for some today, but so
far, so good1  Guess winter had finally arrived.  will have to just sit in
our plant room/greenhouse and enjoy the flowers blooming there.  He has
several orchids blooming right now and some smell wonderful.
	Keep warm everyone!
Barb