Re: [gardeners] In the Garden

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:31:47 +0000

Liz wrote:

> I've got some planters that are about a foot deep, 8 inches wide and
> 4 feet long.  I've been debating dragging one inside and planting
> some of the more cold tolerant salad stuff in it then sticking it on
> the edge of the carport so that it gets the sun but experiences temps
> in the 40's.

Go for it. Lots of the winter and spring lettuces will do really well this
way. And they are shallow rooted, so planter size will not be a problem.
Maybe order one of the mesclum mixes from Cook's Garden to play with. Just
sow the seed densely and start using the thinnings within a few weeks.

I'm getting hungry....gonna go pick some lettuce. My favorites this fall
have been: Tom Thumb (wee butterhead), Bronze Migonette (really pretty and
nicely juicy), Deer Tongue (the rabbits adore it especially).

Catharnie