Re: [gardeners] In the Garden

Catharine Vinson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:57:04 +0000

Cheryl wrote:

> I know that. And what's more, I'm sure they know that. But we mustn't
> encourage them lest they really think the south will rise again. :-) Every
> time I hear one of them "speak" I feel like a damn yankee. :-))

Awwwww, gee, I mean the South has just gotta rise again. I've been a
savin' my hoop petticoats and dangly ear bobs in anticipation of once more
entertaining the Tarlton twins at the annual Roast a Yankee barbeque....

> I'll spring for that chard next season but I've got 21 raised beds, and the
> hoops, and the plastic. Even have a little greenhouse. My problem is bad
> timing, poor organization, too many committees and manfacturing a product.
> Can't blame anyone else.

I firmly believe that no gardener is ever culpable of anything wrong. When
we don't get something planted, there is always a valid reason: Farmer's
almanac, soil too wet/too dry; weather too unsettled; too hot/too cold.
And then there's my personal favorite: "I didn't plant (fill in the blank)
this year because I'm trying to cut back." Ya, right!

Catharine