Re: [gardeners] In the Garden

Thu, 18 Dec 1997 07:52:39

At 06:34 AM 12/18/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I wasn't going to reply, but had to - our oldest daughter and her husband
>should arrive her sometime today.  They have GIVEN up on NYC - or at least
>she has. He was mugged and thrown on the subway tracks in May - broke his
>elbow in three places and his hip in two, then in Oct. she had her purse
>stolen. That was the last straw.  They are both in theatre and were trying
>to "make it" in New York.  We visited them several times and did enjoy
>seeing the Broadway shows etc., but like the rest of you, coulodn't stand
>to live there.
>	We did make a trip out to the New York Botanic Garden when we were there.
>Wanted to see the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, but couldn't get there via
>public transportation, or at least WE couldn't figure out how to do it.
>anyway, since our reason for going is moving back home, don't think we will
>be there again for awhile unless it's to fly somewhere else.
>	BTW - just signed up for a trip to Greece in September.  Any one on the
>list been there?  It is a tour, so probably not much flexibility to see or
>do anything extra, but you never know.
>	We have also decided to attend the Philadelphia Flower show this year.
>Haven't seen anyone mention it on the other gardening list.  I've never
>been, so really looking forward to it.
>Barb - in Columbia, Missouri
>snow is leaving rapidly but more is predicted for the week end. Hope it
>holds off until our NYC couple are safely in their mobile home - which is
>STILL in the middle of a corn field waiting to be moved to a trailer park.
>ground has just been too wet to move it.  sigh
>At 08:35 PM 12/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> Still don't want to live there. Great energy but soooo noisy and far too
>>> little soil!
>>
>>I can't think of any enticement to make me want to live in NYC. When I was
>>in my late-20s I thought the place was nirvana. Now I *know* it's nuts
>><bg>
>>
>>Catharine

Yup, been to Greece a couple of times. Both times we didn't get to see much
of the antiquities as the museum guards were on strike as were the taxi
drivers. First time there was also a huge Communist demonstration in Athens
for May Day. The countryside is beautiful and the people were basically
nice. Lots of touristy stuff for sale but if you poke around you can find
some nice things at reasonable prices.

If you get the chance run over to Turkey for awhile, great country, great
people, very friendly to Americans, about as much in the way of Greek ruins
as Greece has plus some interesting Ottoman Empire stuff. Either way you
will enjoy your trip.

George