Re: [gardeners] Great Garden Mistakes

asidv@ktc.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:33:30 +0000

Liz wrote:

> She recommends varieties of plants, veggies in particular, that taste
> good and grow well.  So you learn to trust her.  Then one day she
> talks about this variety of zucchini that you've never grown but have
> seen in a couple of catalogues -- zucchini costata romanesco.  She
> tells you how wonderful the flavor is.  She suggests you plant it
> because it is much better than other varieties of zucchinis.  You
> plant it.  By mid-summer your entire backyard is covered in green
> thighs and you find the bodies of your missing nephews who were stung
> to death by the writhing vines.  You assume that you did something
> wrong like show the plants a bag of fertilizer or, heavens, actually
> tossed some in the general direction of the plants.

I only planted 4 plants of it; 'twas truly awesome. Two of my
neighbors still won't answer the door bell when they see me coming.
They did ask as I was getting ready to head to Texas, "You won't be
bringing back any of that squash will you?"

Catharine, who will likely plant some more this year, and thereby
prove that she is bonkers.