Re: Garden decor was Re: [gardeners] 'Bright Lights'

Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:37:22

At 01:15 PM 1/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 09:06 AM 1/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>We've actually got one of those bathtubs and are planning to use it as a
>>>bog garden...someday. There isn't enough time!!
>>>
>>>Cheryl Schaefer
>>>schaefer @epix.net
>>>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY
>
>>I have some friends who recently remodeled/restored an old house, and
>>they're using the old claw foot bathtubs.  I'm glad I don't have to take a
>>shower or bath in one.  They're much higher than modern tubs, so you hit
>>one shin and the other foot catches as you step out.  In a Princeton, N.J.
>>hotel, I so emerged from their shower in a claw tub, stepped out and down a
>>step (step built in to hold plumbing pipes, since the hotel originally
>>didn't have such things), and as I fell, I grabbed a pipe to break my fall.
>> The pipe was a hot water pipe, and I was one mad wet hen.  Margaret, who
>>is not sentimental about those damned bathtubs.  Nor the old square
>>galvanized ones which, when you were sitting in hot water, and leaned your
>>back against it, was still icy cold, confounding all ideas of heat
>>conductivity.
>
>Oh Margaret! I *love* taking a bath in those old tubs. I used to rent a
>place that had one and I'd fill it 3/4 full of hot water and bubbles. It
>was just great to get in there right up to your chin. Forget Jacuzzis, give
>me an big old claw foot bathtub any day. One day soon I'm going to get me a
>place with a big enough bathroom to put one of those into. It actually
>breaks my heart to see them out on people's lawns filled with flowers. :-(
>
>Marianne who'd love to be in a hot bath right now.
>We had 1/2 inch worth of ice rain yesterday and I took a header coming off
>the steps, I ache all over. Today it's around 10C, foggy and drizzly, and
>the grass is turning green. At least I had one day on my skis, two days
>later I was nibbling at some parsely poking through the mulch in the herb
>garden..
>
>mlepa@adan.kingston.net
>Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b

When we lived in Saudi Arabia the bath tubs all came from Europe, high
sides (twice as high as the average US tub) and about a foot longer. Like
Margaret I used to hang a foot on the side pretty regular but since there
were grab bars I never fell. Thank goodness as the baths were all marble,
including the ceiling. Miz Anne liked to lay up in a bubble bath on
occasion too. Me, I prefer a shower to a ring around the waist. <VBG> To
keep to the tone of the list, can't garden today, to much rain. Did put up
the cauliflower pickles that had soaked overnight. Ended up with 6 pints
out of three small heads.

George