Re: Garden decor was Re: [gardeners] 'Bright Lights'

Marianne Lepa (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:15:19 -0500

At 09:06 AM 1/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>We've actually got one of those bathtubs and are planning to use it as a
>>bog garden...someday. There isn't enough time!!
>>
>>Cheryl Schaefer
>>schaefer @epix.net
>>Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY

>I have some friends who recently remodeled/restored an old house, and
>they're using the old claw foot bathtubs.  I'm glad I don't have to take a
>shower or bath in one.  They're much higher than modern tubs, so you hit
>one shin and the other foot catches as you step out.  In a Princeton, N.J.
>hotel, I so emerged from their shower in a claw tub, stepped out and down a
>step (step built in to hold plumbing pipes, since the hotel originally
>didn't have such things), and as I fell, I grabbed a pipe to break my fall.
> The pipe was a hot water pipe, and I was one mad wet hen.  Margaret, who
>is not sentimental about those damned bathtubs.  Nor the old square
>galvanized ones which, when you were sitting in hot water, and leaned your
>back against it, was still icy cold, confounding all ideas of heat
>conductivity.

Oh Margaret! I *love* taking a bath in those old tubs. I used to rent a
place that had one and I'd fill it 3/4 full of hot water and bubbles. It
was just great to get in there right up to your chin. Forget Jacuzzis, give
me an big old claw foot bathtub any day. One day soon I'm going to get me a
place with a big enough bathroom to put one of those into. It actually
breaks my heart to see them out on people's lawns filled with flowers. :-(

Marianne who'd love to be in a hot bath right now.
We had 1/2 inch worth of ice rain yesterday and I took a header coming off
the steps, I ache all over. Today it's around 10C, foggy and drizzly, and
the grass is turning green. At least I had one day on my skis, two days
later I was nibbling at some parsely poking through the mulch in the herb
garden..

mlepa@adan.kingston.net
Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b