Re: Garden decor was Re: [gardeners] 'Bright Lights'

Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:33:13

At 09:47 AM 1/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>>they're using the old claw foot bathtubs.  I'm glad I don't have to take a
>>>shower or bath in one.  They're much higher than modern tubs, so you hit
>>>one shin and the other foot catches as you step out.  In a Princeton, N.J.
>>>hotel, I so emerged from their shower in a claw tub, stepped out and down a
>>>step (step built in to hold plumbing pipes, since the hotel originally
>>>didn't have such things), and as I fell, I grabbed a pipe to break my fall.
>>> The pipe was a hot water pipe, and I was one mad wet hen.  Margaret, who
>>>is not sentimental about those damned bathtubs.  Nor the old square
>>>galvanized ones which, when you were sitting in hot water, and leaned your
>>>back against it, was still icy cold, confounding all ideas of heat
>>>conductivity.
>>>
>>My Gawd, you're really old!! Reckon you had "thunder mugs" back in olden
>>times too? ;-))
>>
>>George
>>
>Would you rather risk a confrontation with a moose and her calves or use a
>thunder mug?  Working in a mountain resort near Yellowstone, those were the
>choices.  The cow was pulling down the clothesline in back of our lodge
>every night.  The s-l-o-w fellows who worked in the main lodge encountered
>the cow and her calves on the mountain behind us, and they put their feet
>into high gear, leaving the normal guy in the dust.  As he ran, he turned
>around to see how close she was, ran into a tree and broke his arm.  But
>yes, I am old, too.  Margaret

My folks and I lived in, literally, a shack from 1949 to 1950 while we were
building the frame of the house they were building on 7 acres. All
materials were used, from Navy barracks built in WWII that Dad had bought
and torn down. The shack was equipped with a #3 wash tub and a fairly large
thunder mug, my first and last experience with one. You're not really old
Margaret, you're well experienced and that counts more than age.

George