Re: [gardeners] Nigella - Love in a mist

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:45:05 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Margaret Lauterbach wrote:

> How did you get them started?  Friends say "oh, just throw them on the
> ground..."  Nigella didn't germinate for me like that.  Of course, I do
> have the world's population of California quail, house finches and sparrows
> eating everything loose in my yard...Margaret

I've watched seedlings around here for the last couple of years... they
just get nicely up and the slugs discover them.  What seems to work for
me with stuff that *should* grow in the ground ok is fluid sowing inside,
scattering them out as the radicle is nicely emerged and the cotyledons
about ready to break.  That seems to give them at least a 50% chance with
the slugs, and isn't a whole lot of work.

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com
just west of Portland, OR; USDA zone 8