Re: [gardeners] The Freezing Rain Warning Has Ended

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:20:09

At 09:48 AM 1/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 06:05 AM 1/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Thanks for keeping us posted, Marianne.  Do you have any idea how Richter's
>>made out?  They're at Goodwood, Ontario, and I can't even find that place
>>on my  Rand-Mcnally road atlas.  American news at least mentions the storms
>>and shows some horrible pictures, but nothing specific.  If there's any
>>good to come out of this whole thing, it's the realization on the part of
>>Americans how ignorant of Canadian news we're kept.  Margaret
>
>Hi Margaret,
>
>Not to worry, Richters is well west of here. Goodwood is about 50 miles
>northeast of Toronto. It's a very teeny community so I'm not surprized it
>doesn't show up on your atlas. Even on the Ontario road maps it only merits
>a small dot. :-)  I'm wondering how Gardens North made out though. They're
>up in North Gower just outside of Ottawa and to the best of my knowledge
>they still may be without power.
>
>Speaking of Richters, I noticed that they've overhauled their free seminar
>series to include a lot more sessions on alternative healing strategies,
>plus they've added one day workshops on all sorts of herbally things. (If
>you're out there Conrad, way to go!!)  I wish I could attend them all, but
>given that it's a 6 hour drive round trip, I guess I'll have to be
>selective. :-)
>
>And speaking of herbs.........Anybody here growing Epazote? It's supposed
>to be good in Mexican cooking and with bean dishes. I'm planning on trying
>it out this year, any culture or cooking tips would be welcome.
>
>Marianne
>Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b

I tried growing epazote in 1997. Must have a bad batch of seed as I could
never get it to germinate, even after trying the paper towel on top of
fridge trick. It grew wild over in South Texas and the local Hispanic
population used it extensively. Been so long ago I can't remember what it
tasted like.

George