Re: HP was Re: [gardeners] monsterspit revisited

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:32:45 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Liz Albrook wrote:

> I printed my dissertation on one of those!  Do you know how many
> font wheels you have to use to get all the math, greek and geek
> (chemistry) symbols to print?  The chem department had a set of 12
> different wheels and it took 9 of them to print my dissertation.
>
> Then my thesis advisor got an HP Laserjet III.  It took two hours to
> print the final version as opposed to about 8 hours on the Diablo.
> The Diablo print was clearer and prettier though.

Boo, hiss!  Took about 12 hours to print the final copy of mine
on a LaserJet II, and 3 font cartridges.  Grr.  Italics and geek.
And don't forget trying to put the page numbers on glossy color
photos.  And praying that the Dragonlady of the Dissertations would
accept laser printing as archival... mine was the first laser printed
one accepted as archival there.

I'm rather lusting after one of the Tektronics color wax printers...
say, the one that can handle up to tabloid size, and print on about
anything including sandpaper.  But at $3K, I guess I'll just have
to wait.  ;-)

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com