Re: [gardeners] Decaisnea fargesii

Cheryl & Erich Schaefer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:44:09 -0500 (EST)

>>From: Cheryl & Erich Schaefer <schaefer@epix.net>
>>
>>> One of the seeds I'm ordering is for a plant I've been unable to find
>>>anywhere - descaisnea fargesii. It's a shrub, 6-10 ft x 4 ft with large
>>>blue seedpods and bizarre flower clusters. I haven't even been able to find
>>>it in books, just the original one from which I got the name, description
>>>and no source. I just hope I'm lucky enough to get the seed. Anyone have
>>>this one? Any experience germinating the seed?
>

>Decaisnea fargesii is widely available in plant form.  Check out:
>
>Forest Farm
>990 Tetherow Road
>Williams, OR 97544-9599
>(541) 846-7269
>$3.00 'subscription' (BIG catalog)
>or
>Heronswood Nursery Ltd.
>7530 NE 288th Street
>Kingston, WA  98346-9502
>(360) 297-4172  fax 297-8321
>Great source of unusual perennials and shrubs etc.  Especially variegated
>stuff
>Catalogue $4
>or
>Gossler Farms Nursery
>1200 Weaver Road
>Springfield, Oregon  97478-9691
>vox541. 746-3922
>fax:   541. 744-7924
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Bill & Harvey
>SKID Plants Zone 6 CT USA

Indeed it helps. Thanks! I will, however, have to try germinating the seed
now that I've ordered it and Tom has told me how. He also says that you two
are into seed starting in coffee filters. You probably shared this info
with this crowd before, and if so, you are humbly requested to repeat
yourselves privately. Since we're dieting there is space in the fridge for
more seed trials.:-)

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY