Re: [gardeners] Mother's Cooking was Seeds

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:52:15

At 01:36 PM 1/16/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Liz Albrook wrote:
>
>> The one that always did me in was Phillip's Milk of Magnesia.  My
>> mother loved to dose you up with that stuff.  Yuck!  I still remember
>> the day that she mixed a spoon of it in a glass of water and made me
>> drink it.  ::shudder::
>
>Might as well lick a blackboard eraser.  ;-)  Kaopectate was guuuuud, too!
>
>As to Fletcher's and Dr. Pepper... Dr. Pepper doesn't have that underlying
>pong of oil of wintergreen that Fletcher's had.
>
>> I gotta go use some mouthwash now.  Yuck.
>
>Mom didn't believe in mouthwash.  She'd hand you a stick of celery.
>Which may explain my love/hate relationship with celery.
>
>Speaking of which, anyone got some good recommendations for celery
>cultivars for the PNW?
>
>Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com

You may have to resort to leaf celery which is what I grow. The bugs got
all the real celery, that and to much rain I suspect. Leaf celery grows
great and the bugs don't bother it. I dehydrate it for soups and stews and
we eat a lot of fresh in salads, etc. It's growing in a pot right now in
our "greenhouse."

By the by, just picked Miz Anne up at the high school where she worked
today. We picked a huge plastic container of broccoli, lots of nice
radishes, a few longhorn peppers, and a new crop of lettuce for salad
tonight. Got one head of cauliflower left and will pick it Sunday for
dinner. There's enough green beans for a meal for the two of us and then
I'm afraid they're destined for the compost heap. Beautiful cool, sunshiny
day today, just what winter should be in the south. The pup and I played
sneak up and jumped on each other and then sat on the garden bench and
soaked up the sun. Life is very good.

George