Re: [gardeners] Mother's Cooking was Seeds

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 19:10:53

At 06:31 PM 1/16/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Margaret wrote:
>
>> We learned what "no" meant.
>
>Margaret is right!  Learning by doing (and not doing) taught some of
>us old people to avoid dangers and perils on our own.  By the time we
>were out of folding pants, we had learned to recognize villians,
>miscreants, and boors . . . to our benefit.  Some of us don't cotton
>to the Federalies telling us when to burp, when to go potty, and how
>to do it when we get there.  One can carry "managed living" just so
>far before some of the peasants revolt.
>Pat

I think you're right Pat, maybe that's why so many of us are "Grey
Panthers" now. I know that I resent and strike out against many people who
either are, or think they are, in a position of authority. State and
federal bureaucrats come to mind quickly as do "young people" who want to
speak down to you because you have silver hair. I told one young woman
today that she didn't need to raise her voice to me, I was not deaf just
white-haired. She got the damndest look on her face, as though she couldn't
believe I was speaking to her that way. Got a rousing cheer from the Old
Farts Club in the same waiting room. Also told her that if she were really
lucky she would get old too but not if she kept speaking to folks that way.
<VBG> Now picture a silver-haired, pot-bellied guy with a raised fist
(maybe with a bottle of Mylanta in it). I know my teenage grandchildren
have no conception of the courage it takes to get older.

George