Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Liz Albrook (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:22:24 +0000

George Shirley <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:

> Your bubble is busted, being a Texian I'm actually a westerner, not
> a southerner. Only reason we seceded from the Union was to get a
> chance to shoot some Yankees. No one in my family liked collards so
> I never got used to them. Mom and Dad liked mustard greens but I
> wouldn't eat them for years and have just started eating them mixed
> with other greens. Might plant some collards just to see if my
> tastes have changed in 40 some years. Did start eating grits again
> this year after I swore I never would.

Ignore everything you have heard about collards and frost.  Pick them
young and they are sweet and tender.  If you let them get old then
they will need frost to taste decent -- preferably a frost hard
enough to turn them into mush for the compost heap.  I couldn't stand
collard greens until my parents started growing them.  As soon as the
leaves got big we'd go out and pick them so they never had that
terrible musty dirt taste.  Yuck!  Trust me on this one and give it a
try.

Liz