Re: [gardeners] Fw: Propogating Tree Collards

Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:56:54

At 12:22 PM 1/22/98 +0000, Liz Albrook wrote:
>George Shirley <gardeners@globalgarden.com> wrote:
>

>> Your bubble is busted, being a Texian I'm actually a westerner, not
>> a southerner. Only reason we seceded from the Union was to get a
>> chance to shoot some Yankees. No one in my family liked collards so
>> I never got used to them. Mom and Dad liked mustard greens but I
>> wouldn't eat them for years and have just started eating them mixed
>> with other greens. Might plant some collards just to see if my
>> tastes have changed in 40 some years. Did start eating grits again
>> this year after I swore I never would.
>
>Ignore everything you have heard about collards and frost.  Pick them
>young and they are sweet and tender.  If you let them get old then
>they will need frost to taste decent -- preferably a frost hard
>enough to turn them into mush for the compost heap.  I couldn't stand
>collard greens until my parents started growing them.  As soon as the
>leaves got big we'd go out and pick them so they never had that
>terrible musty dirt taste.  Yuck!  Trust me on this one and give it a
>try.
>
>Liz

You're not conning me now Liz? I ain't gonna turn into one of them clay and
starch eating deep souf' people am I? Not gonna be like the Cantrells and
wanna move out into the sticks or somethin? Reckon we might try collards
this fall as the spring garden is already planned and seeds on order (just
a few). Miz Anne was looking at a catalog that came in today and wanted me
to get her some acreage so she could have "one of these, and two of those,
and one of these, and --and---." Help, my wife is a complete GA. Good thing
I'm only moderately affected. <VBG>

George