Re: [gardeners] echinaceae

jaime (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 07:59:35 -0400

Barb Rothenberger wrote:

> 	I'm currently suffering from a horrible cold and am trying something new -
> to me, at least.  I've read that taking echinaceae could help shorten the
> length of time you have the cold.  I'm also trying zinc lozens.  Felt
> pretty rotten all day yesterday, not as bad this morning, but could be
> becasue I wentto bed at 7:30 last night!
> 	Anyway, interested to know if anyone else had tried this remedy.
> Barb

After reading a number of research articles on the positive
results of echinacea and zinc on a number of health-related
things, I decided to try it.  I take the NOW brand Elder-Zinc on
the advice of both my doctor, pharmacist and herbalist friend.
All three like this one because of the balance between
elderberry, zinc, echinacea and Vit. C.    Then my mother (75
y.o.) got a terrible cold and her herbalist friend recommended
the same to her.  It did not lessen the cold symptoms as much as
shortened the life of the cold.  She was markedly better in
about 5 days as opposed to 10-14 days.

Then I got the killer flu.  I still have it.  It has been
consistently turning into pneumonia (according to a growing
number of people who have contracted the damned thing).  I upped
my Elder-Zinc dosage to their recommended 2 lozenges every 4
hours for intensive use.  I was doing great.  I sort of forgot
to take them the past several days and now I have pneumonia.
Needless to say, I'm back on it.

Medical research has been showing pretty strong evidence that
zinc does shorten the life of colds.

HTH,
Jaime